PhD (Studies in Religion, University of Queensland), BA Hons (Linguistics, University of Ljubljana)
Head of Program - Applied Buddhist Studies, NTI
- Head of Program - Applied Buddhist Studies, Nan Tien Institute, Wollongong,
- Honorary Associate, Indian Sub-Continental Studies; University of Sydney, Australia
- Research Associate, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Grants and Awards (received in the last five years)
- EU Marie Curie International Grant, SP3-People, for a research project “Dual deities in the Rgveda”, 2008-2012.
- ARRS (Slovenian Research Council Grant), Project P6-0243, “Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa”, University of Ljubljana (2009-2012).
- AD Futura Grant, Contemporary Indian Studies, Primorska University, Slovenia, 2008.
- Australian Research Council Grant for the research project “Recently discovered rare manuscripts of mediaeval Pali subcommentaries: a missing link in Buddhist textual transmission”, 2007-2008.
- University of Queensland Early Career Researcher Scheme Grant for the research project “Dvandva Compounds in the Rgveda”, 2007-2008.
Research Fields and Current Interests
- Buddhist meditation in theory and practice
- Buddhist ethics
- The role of dual deities in the Rgveda
- Gender issues in Indian history
Selected Papers Read at Conferences, Symposia and Seminars (in the last five years)
- “Exegesis of the terms ajjhattam and bahiddha in the Satipatthana-sutta”, conference Multiple Religious Modernities, Australian Association for the Study of Religion and Australasian Association of Buddhist Studies, Sydney, Australia, 28-30 September 2012.
- “Buddhism in the Contemporary World: New Approaches to Meditation”, Symposium on the Tibetan Culture, Maribor, Slovenia, 18 May 2012.
- “Smrti in the Yogasutra: memory or mindfulness?”, seminar, Australasian Association of Buddhist Studies, University of Sydney, 28 July 2011.
- “Goddesses in Ancient India: One or Many?”, conference “Intercultural harmony: paths to intercultural dialog”, University of Maribor, Maribor, 27 May 2011.
- “Gender Relations in the Rgvedic Pantheon: Mothers and Wives”, symposium Cooperation and Conflicts in East and South Asia: Contemporaneity, Historical and Cultural Aspects, University of Ljubljana, 23-24 March 2011.
- “The concept of attachment in Buddhism”; International Symposium 12. Breganotovi dnevi, Rogaska Slatina, 14-17 October 2010.
- “Typology of Dvandva Compounds in the Rgveda”, seminar, Linguistic Association, University of Ljubljana, 24 May 2010.
- “The Concept of Mindfulness in Yoga”, conference The Age of Breath: Yoga, the Body and the Feminine, University of Primorska, Koper, Slovenia, 6-8 May, 2010.
- “Development of Emotional and Spiritual Balance through the Practice of Mindfulness”, symposium Alternative Methods in Palliative Care, Medical Association of Slovenia, Ljubljana, 23 October 2009.
- “One and Many Gods of Hinduism”, seminar Religion and Tolerance, Maribor, 15 October 2009.
- “Chronological Relationship between the Rgvedasamhita, the Rgvedapadaparha, and the Astadhyayi Revisited”, the 14th World Sanskrit Conference, Kyoto University, Japan, 01-05 September 2009.
- “The Presentation of Motherhood in Ancient Hindu Legal Sources”, conference The Mother: Images, Issues and Practices, University of Queensland, 5-7 July 2007.
- “Historical Development and Typology of Dvandva Compounds in the Rgveda”, international conference The Fourth International Vedic Workshop: The Vedas in Culture and History, University of Texas, Austin, USA, 24-27 May 2007.
- “The Goddesses in the Vedas”, symposium Goddess: Divine Energy, the Art Gallery of New South Wales, 13 October, 2006.
- “Dual Deities in the Rgveda: Stylistic and Typological Analysis”, conference Alternative Expressions of the Numinous, University of Queensland, 20 August 2006.
- “Stylistic and Typological Analysis of Coordinative Nominal Constructions in the Rgveda”, the 13th World Sanskrit Conference, Edinburgh, 10 July 2006.
- Pali and Sanskrit textual studies
- Buddhist meditation in theory and practice
- Sanskrit and traditional Indian Linguistics
- The role of dual deities in the ôgveda
- Gender issues in early Indian history
- Aºguttaranikyapuröa´k, Catutth Linatthapaksin´, ed. P. Pecenko, posthumously completed by Tamara Ditrich. Bristol: Pali Text Society, 2012.
- The Indian Subcontinent: between tradition and modernity, ed. Tamara Ditrich. Asian Studies Vol. 1, No. 1. Ljubljana: Faculty of Arts, 2013.
- The way things really are: A translation of Book IV of the Sutta-nipta, trans. Lesley Lebkowicz, Tamara Ditrich and Primoz Pecenko. Buddhanet’s Ebook LibrarySeries. Buddha Dharma Education Association Inc., 2006.
- Jiddu Krishnamurti: Problemi zivljenja. Ljubljana: Mladinska Knjiga, 1994.
Articles and Chapters in Books
- “The concept of smṛti in the Yogasūtra: memory or mindfulness?” In The Indian Subcontinent: Between Tradition and Modernity, ed. Tamara Ditrich. Asian Studies Vol. 1 (XVII), No. 1 (2013), pp. 45-62.
- “Mindfulness in modern Buddhism: new approaches and meanings”. In One Dharma: Many Buddhist Traditions: A Festschrift in Memory of K Sri Dhammananda (1919-2006), ed. Benny Liow Woon Khin. Petaling Jaya: Buddhist Gem Fellowship, 2013, pp. 181–190.
- “Chronological relationship between the ôgvedasaµhit, the ôgvedapadap ha and the A· dhyy´ revisited”. In Festschrift in Honor of Boris Oguibénine, eds. Guillaume Ducoeur, Victoria Grace, and Nataliya Yanchevskaya. Cambridge, MA: Department of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, Harvard University [forthcoming].
- “Presentations of female roles in ancient India: mothers, wives, daughters”, Glasnik SED 53, Nos. 1, 2 (2013), pp. 52–57.
- “Indian goddesses: one or many?” In Sozitje med kulturami — poti do medkulturnega dialoga, II, ed. Maja Lamberger Khatib. Maribor: Pivec. 2012, pp. 51–63.
- “Syntagmns constructed with coordinative particles in ôgveda I.1.–I.50”, Acta Linguistica Asiatica 2, No. 1 (2012), pp. 45–59.
- “The typology of mre¶ita compounds in the ôgveda”, Acta Linguistica Asiatica 1, No. 1 (2011), pp. 71–84.
- “Buddhism in contemporary world: new approaches to meditation”. In Sozitje med kulturami — poti do medkulturnega dialoga, ed. Maja Lamberger Khatib. Maribor: Pivec. 2011, pp. 127–135.
- “The presentation of motherhood in the Law Code of Manu”. In Mother-Texts: Narratives and Counter Narratives, ed. M. Porter and J. Kelso. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2010, pp. 143–163.
- “Epistole o prijateljstvu” [“The concept of friendship in early Buddhism”], by Košir, M. and Ditrich, T. Nova revija, 333–335, XXIX. Ljubljana, 2010, pp. 170–187.
- “The variety of expression for Heaven and Earth in the ôgveda”. Crossroads 5/1 (2010), pp. 35–44.
- “The concept of attachment in Buddhism”, 12. Breganotovi dnevi. Ljubljana: ZPS, 2010, pp. 73–77.
- “Historical development and typology of dvandva compounds in the ôgveda”. In Proceedings from the Fourth International Vedic Workshop, The University of Texas, Austin, 24 May 2007. Firenze: Società Editrice Fiorentina [forthcoming].
- “Development of emotional and spiritual balance through the practice of mindfulness”. Proceedings of the symposium Alternative Methods in Palliative Care, eds. T. Štemberger Kolnik and S. Majcen Dvoršak. Ljubljana: Medical Association of Slovenia, 200, pp. 126–134.
- “ôgvedic goddesses: their roles and significance in the Vedic pantheon”. In Indian Studies—Slovenian Contributions, ed. L Skof. Kolkata: Sampark Publishing, 2008, pp. 153–165.
- “Sriputta, the author of the Pli é´ks”, by P. Pecenko, revised and edited by T. Ditrich. In Indian Studies—Slovenian Contributions, ed. L Skof. Kolkata: Sampark Publishing, 2008, pp. 131–152.
- “Dvandva compounds in the ôgveda: the chronology of the ten maö¶alas revisited”. Poligrafi 41/42, vol. 11 (2006), pp. 123–148.
- “Stylistic analysis of coordinative nominal constructions for dual deities in the ôgveda”. In Selected Papers from the Vedic Panel of the 13th World Sanskrit Conference held in Edinburgh, Scotland. 10th-14th July 2006. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass [forthcoming].
- “Dvandva compounds and the chronology of the ôgveda”. Crossroads 1 (Autumn 2006), pp. 26–35.
- “Early Goddesses”. In Goddess: Divine Energy, ed. J. Menzies. Sydney: Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2006, pp.18–21.
- “Human and divine mothers in Hinduism.” In Motherhood: Power and Oppression, eds. Marie Porter, Patricia Short, and Andrea O'Reilly. Toronto: Women's Press, 2005, pp. 137–151.
- “Indological Studies in Australia”. In Indology: Past, Present and Future, ed. Saroja Bhate. Delhi: Sahitya Akademi, 2002, pp. 61–83.
- “Kaha Upani·ad” In Sebstvo in meditacija, ed. Andrej Ule. Poligrafi 17/18. Ljubljana: Nova Revija, 2001, pp. 61–77.
- “Sutra o modrosti in neumnosti” [“Sutra of the wise and foolish”, trans. from Tibetan] Dvatisoc 129–131(2000), pp. 5–12.
- “Hinduism, Theravada Buddhism, Tibetan Buddhism, Zoroastrism”. In Mitologija, Vol 1. Ljubljana: Mladinska knjiga, 1988, pp. 14–57.