Nan Tien Institute was founded by Grand Master Hsing Yun as part of his objective: "To foster talent through education". Throughout 40 years, the founder of Fo Guang Shan (FGS) has founded an international university consortium and 16 Buddhist Colleges around the world. The primary aim of these is to share the wisdom of Buddhism and to create a holistic and well-informed society.
NTI is Australia's first government accredited higher education institution grounded in humanistic Buddhist wisdom and values, and is the latest tertiary education provider to become part of the Fo Guang University Consortium. The Consortium also includes University of The West in California USA (1990), Fo Guang University (1993) and Nan Hua University (1996) in Taiwan.
NTI's foundation postgraduate program - Master of Arts in Applied Buddhist Studies - was accredited by the Australian government in 2009, and NTI accepted its first intake of students in 2011. NTI's first group of students graduated in 2012 with a world-unique qualification.
NTI continues to offer an increasing number of students a quality, holistic and unique education.
NTI is moving towards becoming a comprehensive university, with plans to expand to offer a range of postgraduate, undergraduate, single subjects, and research programs. NTI's vision is to be recognised as Australia's most unique university, providing innovative programs in Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences and Management, Technology and Buddhist Research.
NTI's resources will also continue to grow, with the opening of its' Stage One Campus, Art Gallery and Cultural Centre in 2014. This state-of-the-art development will be a setting for community interaction, education and cultural exchange, and provide 300 students comprehensive facilities to support their studies. NTI's vision is to expand this facility further in the future to become a University that caters for 3000 students.
The new custom-designed Art Gallery will be a learning hub for the campus, and provide a significant home to artefacts, artworks and international exhibitions.
- Wollongong City Council donated land for Nan Tien Institute and Art Gallery.
- Master Development Plan lodged at Wollongong City Council for examination and approval.
· Master Development Plan approved.
- Ground-breaking ceremony by Grand Master Venerable Hsing Yun.
- Nan Tien Institute established.
- Revised Master Development Plan including an expanded art gallery, museum and university campus for up to 3000 students is lodged with council.
- NSW Department of Education and Training gives Nan Tien Institute final approval as a higher education provider.
- University of Wollongong (UoW) partners with NTI to provide NTI students access to UoW library facilities.
- Nan Tien Institute commenced the first intake for the Master of Arts – Applied Buddhist Studies program (Nan Tien Temple campus).
- Enrolments commence for NTI’s second student intake in August 2011 (Nan Tien Temple campus).
- NTI joins international consortium with three partner universities - Fo Guang University and Nanhua University in Taiwan, and University of the West in USA . This integrates resources and gives students international study opportunities.
- First students graduate with a Graduate Diploma of Applied Buddhist Studies and a Graduate Certificate in Applied Buddhist Studies.
- NTI continues to provide an increasing number of students an accredited postgraduate education based on Buddhist values and wisdom.
- Core NTI academic team grows.
- Building of NTI New Campus and Art Gallery Stage One commences.
- NTI builds recognised partnerships (MOUs) with universities throughout Australia, Asia and Europe, and develops agreements with an increasing number of universities and organisations around the world.
- NTI students continue to enjoy the unique and limited opportunity to study on-site at the Nan Tien Temple, the largest Buddhist Temple in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Core NTI academic team continues to grow.
- NTI continues to build recognised partnerships (MOUs) with universities throughout Australia, Asia and Europe, and develops agreements with an increasing number of universities and organisations around the world.
- Launch of NTI English Language Centre in Sydney CBD
- Health and Social Wellbeing postgraduate Masters program accredited and NTI Faculty of Health launched.
- First student intake for Health and Social Wellbeing
- Students continue to graduate with Masters, Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates in Applied Buddhist Studies
- NTI Wollongong Campus, Art Gallery and Cultural Centre launched by Venerable Master Hsing Yun and current Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott MP.
- Landmark building stimulates much interest in worldwide architectural communities.
- Students continue to graduate with Masters, Graduate Diplomas and Graduate Certificates in Applied Buddhist Studies. Students start to graduate with Certificates in Health and Social Wellbeing.
- Students graduate from NTI English Language Centre and achieve positive outcomes, including successful IELTs results.